SEL External Assessor Reliability Training (Oct 12-13)
STARS Credits: 14.5
Participants need to attend both days to become certified external assessors.
SEL PQA External Assessor Reliability Training at a regional workshop, within another network. Reliable assessors must meet rigorous standards that require in-depth exploration of the SEL Program Quality Assessment (PQA). Participants must attend the entire training, over the course of which, they will watch a video and practice scoring the PQA under the guidance of an experienced reliable rater from the Weikart Center. The training culminates in a distance video reliability check where participants must achieve 80% reliability in order to pass. Participants who pass will be provisionally* endorsed SEL PQA external assessors for 1 year. Participants who do not reach reliability during the video scoring portion of the training will have the opportunity to meet one-on-one with our researcher to discuss scoring feedback. Endorsement may then be provided at the discretion of the Weikart Center.
Please note: currently endorsed assessors will still need to maintain their Youth or School Age PQA reliability through a webinar or self-paced option in order to continue to score the SAPQA or the YPQA.
*Provisional endorsement means that the master scores and videos will not have had our usual 1 year vetting process.
SEL EART Objectives
Participants will be able to:
- Understand the structure of the SEL PQA
- Understand how external assessment fits into the Youth Program Quality Intervention (YPQI) structure
- Understand the intent of each SEL PQA items (i.e., what it actually measures)
- Practice and hone objective observation and note-taking skills to generate relevant, rich, and precise anecdotal evidence
- Become an 70% reliable rater for the SEL PQA
If registration is closed, please email us at email@example.com to be added to the waitlist.
Learning Environment: School’s Out Washington events are interactive. We encourage you to:
- Share your voice however possible — over video, audio and/or through the chat box.
- Have snacks and beverages on hand for refueling mind and body.
- Give yourself and others grace. Set your status as needed if you need to focus on other things in your environment for a moment during the event.
Technical Support: We encourage you to download the latest version of Zoom to your device before the event. A strong Wi-Fi and/or phone network connection will be essential.
Accommodations: Automated closed captioning and transcription will be available during the event via the Zoom – Otter AI integration.
About the Instructor
Most SOWA workshops and webinars are STARS approved. Classes fill quickly and registrations are processed in the order received. Your registration is not complete until payment is received.
SOWA reserves the right to cancel any training event two business days prior to the event. In case of cancellation, registrants will be notified and registration fees refunded. If you cannot attend a training event, we will refund your registration fees only if we are contacted at least two business days prior to the event. Otherwise, no refunds will be given.