Exploring Structural Racism (Seattle University, Jan 11)
A thorough understanding of structural racism can help all professionals provide effective services for youth and their families. In this session we will explain structural racism, provide examples of and data on structural racism, and discuss implications for youth. The material can be emotionally challenging and we will provide what we hope will be a helpful structure for understanding and a learning environment for every participant to grow. This workshop is recommended for Levels 1-3 (intermediate) Child and Youth Development Professionals and will focus on Content Area IX: Cultural Competence and Responsiveness in the Washington State Core Competencies for Child and Youth Development Professionals.
- Increase their knowledge of why understanding race and structural racism is crucial to achieving cultural competence.
- Understand how history, laws, policies, practices & belief systems have interacted to produce racial disparities (also known as “structural racism”).
- Identify connections between historical racial injustices & present-day realities for youth and their families.
Learning Environment: School’s Out Washington events are interactive. We encourage you to:
- Share your voice however possible — over video, audio and/or through the chat box.
- Have snacks and beverages on hand for refueling mind and body.
- Give yourself and others grace. Set your status as needed if you need to focus on other things in your environment for a moment during the event.
Technical Support: We encourage you to download the latest version of Zoom to your device before the event. A strong Wi-Fi and/or phone network connection will be essential.
Accommodations: Automated closed captioning and transcription will be available during the event via the Zoom – Otter AI integration.
About the Instructor
Most SOWA workshops and webinars are STARS approved. Classes fill quickly and registrations are processed in the order received. Your registration is not complete until payment is received.
SOWA reserves the right to cancel any training event two business days prior to the event. In case of cancellation, registrants will be notified and registration fees refunded. If you cannot attend a training event, we will refund your registration fees only if we are contacted at least two business days prior to the event. Otherwise, no refunds will be given.