Cultivating Empathy (May 5)
STARS Credits: 2
By incorporating and modeling empathy, youth workers can add value to their programs and promote skill building for youth. In this session, participants will practice strategies for supporting empathy building, including active listening skills. Participants will also explore best practices for supporting empathy building in youth programming and plan next steps for incorporating these concepts into their work with young people.
- Understand the Weikart framework for SEL, and where Cultivating Empathy fits within the SEL Methods.
- Explain the value that incorporating, and modeling empathy brings to their youth and programming.
- Recognize the ways social identities and implicit bias impact interactions with their youth and programming.
- Practice active listening skills that model empathy as well as encourage youth to name and express emotions.
- Identify best practices for supporting empathy building in youth programming.
- Plan next steps for incorporating concepts learned about empathy.
If registration is closed, please email us at email@example.com to be added to the waitlist.
About the Instructor
Most SOWA workshops and webinars are STARS approved. Classes fill quickly and registrations are processed in the order received. Your registration is not complete until payment is received.
If you have a question regarding:
• Workshops in Spokane County, contact Benjamin Baird at bbaird [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in King County, contact Janell Jordan at jjordan [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Best Starts for Kids workshops or meetings, contact Lex Gavin at lgavin [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• Workshops in Pierce County, contact Ka'ohe Wong at kwong [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• OSPI - 21st Century Community Learning Center workshops, contact Lindy Ah Sam at lahsam [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• General Community Workshops or STARS Credit for Licensed Child Care Providers, contact Nerrisah Townsend at ntownsend [at] schoolsoutwashington.org
• For all other inquiries regarding trainings or workshops, contact Sheely Mauck at smauck [at] schoolsoutwashington.org or call the Seattle main office number at 206.323.2396
SOWA reserves the right to cancel any training event two business days prior to the event. In case of cancellation, registrants will be notified and registration fees refunded. If you cannot attend a training event, we will refund your registration fees only if we are contacted at least two business days prior to the event. Otherwise, no refunds will be given.