Ask, Listen, Encourage (Feb 8)
STARS Credits: 2How can you communicate with youth ways that makes them feel supported and heard? This interactive workshop introduces various communication techniques that help you build more supportive, youth-centered relationships. Participants will learn how to ask more effective questions, listen actively to youth, and offer youth encouragement rather than praise.
This Method encompasses three distinct skills or strategies:
- The Ask strategy is about asking effective questions, engaging youth in dialogue, and promoting critical thinking.
- Listen is about being attentive to youth when they speak and showing support through empathy.
- Encourage is about making specific observations and the decisions and actions of young people as they work, encouraging them to succeed without resorting to judgment.
- Understand the concept of positive, purposeful interaction with youth.
- Learn the characteristics of effective questions.
- Understand the concept of active listening. Learn the characteristics of effective positive responses to youth and their work.
If registration is closed, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the waitlist.
Learning Environment: School’s Out Washington events are interactive. We encourage you to:
- Share your voice however possible — over video, audio and/or through the chat box.
- Have snacks and beverages on hand for refueling mind and body.
- Give yourself and others grace. Set your status as needed if you need to focus on other things in your environment for a moment during the event.
Technical Support: We encourage you to download the latest version of Zoom to your device before the event. A strong Wi-Fi and/or phone network connection will be essential.
Accommodations: Automated closed captioning and transcription will be available during the event via the Zoom – Otter AI integration.
About the Instructor
Most SOWA workshops and webinars are STARS approved. Classes fill quickly and registrations are processed in the order received. Your registration is not complete until payment is received.
SOWA reserves the right to cancel any training event two business days prior to the event. In case of cancellation, registrants will be notified and registration fees refunded. If you cannot attend a training event, we will refund your registration fees only if we are contacted at least two business days prior to the event. Otherwise, no refunds will be given.