Feed Your Brain
Fighting Summer Learning Loss and Summertime Hunger
The Feed Your Brain Rural Funding project provides funding and training to schools, community-based organizations, and tribes running summer learning programs in rural areas of central and eastern Washington state.
In rural communities, resources for summer learning are limited. Without programs such as these, students run the risk of falling behind and forgetting the skills they worked so hard to get during the school year. Moreover, low-income children in these communities go without the free and reduced meals they receive during the school year. Only 11% of these children have access to subsidized meals during the summer months.
Feed Your Brain works to change that. Since 2001, School’s Out Washington has worked together with the Discuren Foundation to address summer learning loss and summertime hunger by funding summer learning programs in rural Washington State. Feed Your Brain sites participate in the Summer Food Service Program, providing children with meals they might not otherwise have had.
Since 2001, Feed Your Brain has supported more than 200 summer literacy programs, which have served more than 400,000 meals and benefited approximately 22,000 children. In 2019, the Feed Your Brain Rural Funding program transitioned from a one-year funding cycle, to a three-year funding cycle, to provide greater supports to our granted programs.
The Application Process has Closed. Click Here to Review the Feed Your Brain 2019-2021 Timeline
2019-2021 Feed Your Brain Cohort
After a very competitive selection process, the following programs were selected to receive funding as a part of the 2019-2021 Feed Your Brain Rural Funding program.
- Grizzly Discover Center, Newport School District, Newport
- Valle Lindo Summer Program, Children's Home Society of Washington, Walla Walla
- Stimulating Summers, Reardan
- S.H.A.R.P. Kids, 21st CCLC Afterschool Program Grand Coulee Dam School District, Grand Coulee
- Summer Garden Camp, Methow Valley School District & Classroom in Bloom, Winthrop
- Mt. Adams Summer Program, Mt. Adams School District, White Swan
- TC Kids Club, TenderCare Children's Center, Clarkston
- A-List Adventures, White Salmon Valley School District, White Salmon